Paphos is the capital city of Paphos District located in the Southwestern part of Cyprus that enjoys subtropical-Mediterranean climate. It is located at the Mediterranean coast which has a highway connecting to Limassol , the second largest city in Cyprus and is where the second largest airport in the country is located. Getting there is not a problem regardless of which part in the world you’re from. Paphos is also home to luxury hotels, lavish amenities and world-class hospitality.
Paphos has two locations to visit: Palaepaphos (old Paphos) and the New Paphos.
Having two locations, Paphos is the best place to spend a Cyprus holiday for 2012. The old Paphos (Palaesppaphos) is enriched with ancient history, myths and infrastructures. It is regarded by many as the portal of today to the ancient history. It is included in the UNESCO list of cultural and natural treasures of the world’s heritage.
- remains of the roman governor’s palace that has extensive, fine mosaics
- place where the apostle Paul of Tarsus visited during the 1st century ad
- Aphrodite’s Temple which is known as the mythical birthplace of the Greek goddess of love and beauty, Aphrodite.
- remains of villas, theaters, tombs, and fortresses of the classical, Hellenistic, and Roman periods
- mosaic of the Nea Paphos
The new Paphos, on the other hand, is inhabited by vibrant local community of like-minded people who are fond of social gatherings, night outs, sports and recreation, quizzes and some quiet luncheons.
Notable Places/Attractions and Activities:
1) Relaxing in one, or more, of the 27 breath-taking beaches.
- Alykes, a sandy beach that is set near the hotel areas of Kato Paphos.
- Paphos Municipal Baths, located also in Kato Paphos, which is a favourite with the locals for its wooden deck area.
- Coral Bay, located in Pegeia, where water sports, sun bed for sunbathing can be enjoyed
- Polis Camping Site and Municipal Beach located in Polis Chrysochous – covered by mixed sand and pebbles shore.
- Faros Beach, located at the west end of Paphos – where you can take an excellent glimpse of sunset.
- Geroskipou Municipal Beach, located in Geroskipou where it has sand and grass covered areas.
- Pachyammos Bay, located in Poseidon Avenue, has a narrow sandy beach with very few rocks.
- Vrysoudia Beach A, which a sandy beach surrounded by rocks, and Vrysoudia Beach B, which has a magical scenery offering a magnificent view towards Paphos harbour and castle; both are located also in Poseidon Avenue.
2) Basking in Paphos’ rich historical treasures by taking a trip to local museums.
3) Be pampered with different sports and leisure activities, whether for enjoyment and relaxation, such as hiking, diving and boat trips. Beautiful golf courses, water sports amenities, and football fields are also available for the more professional sports aficionados.
4) ‘Shop till you drop’ in the city’s shopping centres for local handicrafts and designer labels.
5) Enjoy the nights with meals, drinks and dancing in numerous restaurants, chic bars, and fabulous nightclubs.
Be prepared to discover all the fun and excitement that await you in the beautiful islands of Cyprus. Paphos practically offers everything that you could look for in a holiday getaway. Certainly it is one of the best place to spend a Cyprus Holiday this 2012.